"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Gallery

So I'm sitting at my desk, counting people going in the gallery to see the show "Picturing Faith: religious America in government Photography, 1935-1943" and who should walk in but Aunt Cindy!

She was in GR because Uncle Jack had Oratorio and she was buying a baby present for their new grandbaby, Caleb Jack. She decided to come down and see the show since it has some really cool works (like Dorthea Lange's 'Migrant Mother' and other works by Walker Evans among others) and she read about it in the paper... How fun to see her and catch up.

Just thought I'd let you know that my job is not all boring as I make sure the works of art don't escape (I think my title here is gallery Guard... ).

So hello from her, and now I have to do more reading...

4 comments:

Katie said...

She told me she saw you there and that you talked about an internship in Japan that you were preparing for. WHAT?!?!

bob said...

ok, hang on, I said that I was looking into internships in Japan, and that that was the reason that I'll be taking Japanese in the fall of next year. There are a lot of good apprenticeships there and I would like to go for at least a month, maybe a summer, while I'm in grad school... don't worry, it won't be for a while, but I'm looking into them all the same...

B said...

Well aren't you becoming the little globe-trotter! You think there's room for your cool older sister on any of these outings? I think that's awesome that you're looking into this - keep us all posted! Oh yeah, and did you take any pictures in Italy?

Gayle and Rob said...

Hey Beth - did you know that we are not able to comment on your last blog? I was going to compliment you on the good looking bread, but it won't allow us to comment! And Bob - I already heard about Japan from Aunt Cindy too - can't keep any secrets around here!!