"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

hmm

Today, as I sit in the gallery office, counting people coming into the gallery and sticking more labels on mailers going out to people all over, I am also watching the freshmens and their parents coming in and getting lost on their way to their first advising appointments. Five years ago today, I was here and things were so similar, ok, so today is a little wetter; I remember it was a beautiful Michigan summer day when Mom, Dad, Em and Beth helped me move in and get adjusted to new life at Calvin.

I remember feeling so nervous about everything and fearing I'd mess up or look like a fool... and I did and I was... but it is so surreal that five years have gone so fast!!

On to the next!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Dude, don't rush things. You've only been there 4 years - 4 years ago you moved in and I felt very old to have my youngest sibling in college! Enjoy this last year - I still with I were there sometimes.

Katie said...

Um, I WISH I were there. I don't have a lisp.

Gayle and Rob said...

And Mom says ditto. The last 34 years have been wonderful - but I'd go back to those 4 years anytime.
And let's have a moment of celebration for Ernie!!!!no school tomorrow!!!!

Gayle and Rob said...

I can relate...when I was a senior I helped out a couple of my Student Senate friends by manning the info desk on the first floor of the FAC. Most asked question by the freshmens? "Where is the rest room?" After 3 years of college, I knew the answer! Talk about feeling like your higher ed was validated! Enjoy the moment, BJ!