"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 2

Since the first day of school is always overwhelming, crazy busy and stressful, I thought i'd post on day two instead.

Things I learned so far:
- 'Ohayoo gozaimasu' means 'good morning, politely' in Japanese... just don't pronounce the final 'u'
- 'Ohayoo gozaimasu' is pronounced like 'Ohio gozimas', not too tricky
- Japanese has 4 different ways of writing words out, all of which can be used in a single sentence!
- Sculpture will be interesting, as I get to learn to weld this semester
- a CUPPS mug of coffee is only 50 cents! (I'd forgotten it was so cheap)
- coffee is not a good lunch, whereas chicken salad taken from home is
- I miss my friends who graduated
- lots of my friends graduated
- throwing on the wheel is always fun, no matter if everything falls apart, or everything is great
- lots of my things fell apart today... I think I was pushing the clay pretty far, but I have a vessel shape in mind and I want to see it realized
- crocs, the really comfy shoe brand, can be cleaned in the dishwasher
- I need to clean my crocs
- the best thing about seeing friends you haven't seen all summer is the hugs
- my ring finger knuckle has been swollen for the past week and I don't know what I did to it... I don't think it's broken, but I think something is wrong
- My B.F.A. show opens in 28 weeks... that sounds like a lot, but it isn't

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad to hear you're making something other than Ramen!

What kinds of things will you show in your BFA show?

bob said...

Not sure yet, most likely some sculptures and some utiltarian vessels, but not completely sure... but that is what I have to work out this semester!