"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Work

So far work has been really good. I enjoy the people I work with (those I've met so far) and my managers are quite good to work for. No one takes themselves too seriously, and everyone tries to make things fun.

I work with a wide variety of people, from 15 year olds on their first job to some older gentlemen and women who just do this part time. And a whole range of people in between. Oddly enough, I am actually on the older edge of the age spectrum, at least in numbers of people who are younger than me... lots of college kids and high schoolers. But it's lots of fun.

So, I'm learning the store fairly well now, and while I occasionally have things I can't do on the floor, I am not able to direct people where they want to go, look up on the computer if we have merchandise, and price what things are. I also can markdown clearance items, stock shelves and racks correctly and I know the color order that the clothing is supposed to go in.

So lot of fun so far, and it has yet to be boring... which is a great sign, since I've only been working 2 weeks!

3 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

Color order? Did they determine that by what looks nice? Or is there some marketing theory involved? I never knew that stores even did that. I'll have to pay attention next time I'm in a clothing store.

Katie said...

I was wondering the same thing. What is the color order? Should I be arranging my closet differently? I just read a book about fashion and it had a chapter on closet organization. They said you should order your closet first by season, then by color and you should hang things in outfits so you can see what you have. Sheesh. I don't think I have that many clothes!

Katie said...

That Matthew Blakely site is really cool! I like the little loops he makes in the stoppers and the step-by-step of how to make the platter and tilted oil/soy is neat. Have you used translucent clay before?