"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Abject loathing: a story of my feelings

So again, no posts for a month and then this.

Today was the worst day of retail I've worked. It was our 'Denim Event' with low low prices and even lower customer IQ's.

My question is this: What is so hard to understand about '3 pairs of jeans per customer'?

No, you may not get in each line and buy 18 pairs of jeans. No, you may not have 3 boys, 3 girls, 3 mens, and 3 womens jeans. No you may not give the lady behind you 20 bucks to buy your 4th, 5th and 6th pairs of jeans.

And finally, when I call you on cheating (ie breaking the rules and in essence stealing) don't call me stupid, interrupt me and talk down to me; don't glare at me and keep insulting me because I didn't let you get your way; and you better not lie to me and tell me 'I'm just holding these for a friend' when I saw you buy them 20 minutes ago in another line.

I'm not stupid, and telling you the rules is not a sign of stupidity. Your refusing to listen to them and interrupting me and shushing me and treating me like crap is unacceptable.

Hi there! I work retail, but I'm still human and have feelings. Calling me names and treating me poorly is not right. Part of me wants you to come back to the store, just so I can so everything in my power to give you as hard a time as you gave me today... oh yes, karma's a killer, and you will get yours!

Can you tell 9 hours at The Shirt Folding Store took it's toll today?
Maybe I'll get some photos taken of my recent-ish work and get those posted later this week. That will at least be happy!

4 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

Bob, my son, venting is so cathartic, no? Your mom and I are absolutely delighted to hear from you via the blogosphere again, even to share in your trials and tribs. It is frustrating to see "grown" people so selfishly focused only on themselves. We also bump into that every once in a while with parents, and I'll bet you a donut that your sister Emily will at one point or another this year groan about the same thing with HS students &/or parents. You and I also know that our Good God looks at us the same way and is still gracious and merciful to us. Your challenge then is to get behind the counter of The Shirt Folding Store and extend that graciousness to the semi-conscious, emotionally stunted, and soon-to-be-really-great-when-they-grow-up people (customers!) that stumble into your store. I'm still enough of a teacher to give you my favorite quote from Stephen Lawhead's book Byzantium: "Life is a school of the spirit. Learning is our soul's requirement, and suffering our most persuasive teacher." (p. 853) Have a great week!

MLE said...

Don't take that bet. I know a donut is not much, but you'll lose. Save the $.35 and know that I commiserate!

redtaylor said...

oh man, i totally heard about that ridiculous denim thing on the radio and cringed for you. i'm sorry it made you so stabby. i still love you.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure how it happened, but those same customers that you had must have just moved from Michigan after sending their kids to Knollcrest Music Camp. I swear I've dealt with those same people!! It never ceases to amaze me what people will say when they don't think they'll see you again or when they assume that since you're getting paid, you are paid to do anything for them. Sigh.