"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sunday 'relaxing'

So part of my Sunday afternoon consisted of working in my makeshift studio at the kitchen table. Why the kitchen you ask? Well there's no tv in the basement, and while there is radio, when I'm planning on working for many hours at home, it's nice to pop in a movie and have some background noise going on. Yes, that's an upside down crate being used to elevate the pot so I can work on it at almost eye level. I find that if I work above the pot, it always ends up being top heavy (in other words, lots of additions at the top, and none near the bottom!)



This is it about halfway finished... the largest and middle size barnacles have been added, the smaller and tiny ones need to be attached.











These are my water cup, my pretzel bowl, and my tea mug... essentials in studio work. Though the pretzels may be interchanged for other snacky treats... but cheese puffs or doritoes tend to leave cheesy residue on the clay... yes, it has happened.








Well, here it is 'finished'. And by that I mean I'm done with more green additions... I think. And while it may not look all that different from the halfway, it is... trust me, there are dozens more barnacles on here than there were.










And all wrapped up, ready to dry slowly and head back to the studio for firing.

Most likely, this will be another red iron oxide exterior, with some dark glaze on the interior. But I'm debating doing something different. Oh, and the rim is something new I've been doing. It's a rolled rim, though I alter it once I do the roll...






And that's my Sunday accomplishment... which took a nice 7 hours of additions to the already thrown and turned/trimmed vessel . Oh the difference between a 5 minute bowl, and an 8 hour barnacle pot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's fun to see the process of what you do. I'm glad your day was productive. I'm trying to be productive, but it's tough to do homework when I haven't even had the class yet.