"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Saturday, January 03, 2009

DAM fine afternoon!

This afternoon some friends from work and I took the light rail into a snowy Denver and braved the cold for the free Saturday at the Denver Art Museum.

It was the first time I had been there and the collection was spectacular!  The new building was constructed a couple years ago and is a great building filled with modern and contemporary artworks, and one of the great things was seeing so many great artists I know and love... 

And then there was the old building.  Floor after floor of art that was curated in the most fantastic way; the art was arranged by culture, and time period, but they also stuck in contemporary works of the same cultures in the exhibits as well... 

For instance, traditional native american pottery was placed right next to contemporary native american potters that I've studied.  
A contemporary Chinese painting of a goldfish was hung above a 10 foot Ming dynasty table.  

Needless to say it was amazing and a blast to experience.

It also got me super excited to get back into the studio and start making new work of my own!

1 comment:

Gayle and Rob said...

Glad you enjoyed the visit - I was about to ask you to clean up your langauge in the blog title.(always the mother!) I was just telling someone at school or church that we had been to Denver and they asked me if we'd gone to see the new art museum. I didn't even know it existed and here you've gone there! Next trip to Denver I think we need to put it on the activity list.