"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Monday, January 12, 2009

Setting Goals

One of the most difficult things I've found for me is knowing what to do in the studio.

I know that sounds oxymoronic, since I love being in the studio making things, and could spend all my time there doing just that if I could.  But to tell the truth, because of the fact that I'm at an odd place in life it's often difficult to know what to focus on in my studio work.  So for now I've decided to make a list.  Hopefully this will allow me to develop my work while not wasting $$ on firing work that isn't up to par.  One of the nicest things about clay is its recyclability. If I focus on these things, maybe I'll improve and keep on making better artwork, be it functional or sculptural.  So here it goes!

1. Better Forms - taking inspiration from potters I like and constantly looking for forms that are both more aesthetically pleasing, and at the same time better functionally.

2. Cleaner - not less clay mess but finished, clean, fingerprint free work that looks more professional and clean.  

3. Repetition - working on getting better at creating sets of things... size and form.

4. Finishing - working on design elements, additions, and other ways of making forms more interesting.  Include painted/drawn additions, handles and lugs, sprigged decorations, and better turned feet.

Just a few things to start but, I think that they are a  good place to start to develop my artwork further and keep my vision going forward.  

We will see how things progress...

1 comment:

Gayle and Rob said...

I like how you are thinking. If you don't set some goals, how will you know when you're making progress or improving? I'm not an artist, I have few original ideas, just a few original applications of other's ideas, but I'm seeing more and more that art happens as much in the head as it does in the hands.