"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Monday, February 02, 2009

Friday work

Friday I was off the retail job, and spent a good half day in the studio finishing up some pieces that I threw last week.  
Included in the mix were:
6 white stoneware mugs, with incised designs
6 red stoneware mugs, with impressed designs
4 serving bowls, turned feet
3 pears, hand-built from pinch and coil

Not a lot I know, but enough to keep me busy for a while... I just need to find more time to get to the studio more often.

The pears are my latest attempt to create something exciting and fun to make, while at the same time thinking about what might sell at the spring sale.  Who knows, they're kinda just fun to do.

I'm also trying to rebuild my stock of smaller pieces that will be for gifts and sale.  Needless to say I love mugs and I'm a sucker for making and decorating them....  yeah, but it's fun.

I'll bring the camera to the studio tomorrow, and I'll try to get some photos of the green work... but who knows.

I'm also attempting a new (for me) technique, filling incised design on the white SW with red SW slip in an attempt to create a contrasting inlay... needless to say, at this point it's still experimentation. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Gayle and Rob said...

The new work sounds interesting - let's see some photos. I see that you're reading The Glass Castle...I found that book hard to put down but also very sad. The saddest part is that it probably occurs way more times than we'd like to believe. mom