"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Monday, November 28, 2005

Almost there!

Well, its 6:30 and the kiln is finally up to about 2500 degrees! That means, soon, the firing will be over!

Well, at least the kiln pyrometer reads 2500, but its old and off by about 300 degrees, so its getting there.
At least cone 8, the physical temperature gauge we use in the kiln itself, is starting to melt and arc over... yeah lots of technical stuff, but its fun.

And I got a lot of homework done during my times when I wasn't burning myself... yeah I really did that too. Not too big, but about a dime sized spot on my arm where I accidentally toutched a spy hole plug (glowing red mind you) against my forearm (and it wasn't on purpose either, completely accidental... guess I'm a clutz). Not my brightest moment, but it woke me up real fast and caused me to focus extra hard. Good thing we have a first aid kit down here.

But I'm alright and its almost light! Have a great day

3 comments:

Katie said...

Whoa. 2500 degrees - how warm does it get in the studio when you do that? How long do you have to let it cool before you can open it and handle the stuff inside?

Gayle and Rob said...

Verrrry interesting - with all that chemical stuff going on it's surprising that stuff turns out as well as it does!!! So let us know the results. Please answer Katie's question when you get the time - about what this firing is called. Just had our first aide course last Monday ---don't put butter on your arm!! Mom

MLE said...

Glad to hear that all is going well with the studio. I totally understand the burning clutz stuff--you saw my arm at Thanksgiving. I'm close to having a plaid pattern burned into my right arm from all my accidents!