"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I hate clay (no I don't)

I hate what happens when you literally spend two months working on a ceramic sculpture, working on making it look good, making it look nice, taking the time drying it out slowly, fixing issues that come up when it dries, only to have it crack up the side in the kiln...
I'm rather furious right now... at myself, at the clay, at the stupid sculpture...
But, I may be able to work on fixing it, maybe I can epoxy it together, but I'm not too sure, I think it may be beyond help... I want to throw it out... but it was so good!!! ARRGH!!!

Now, I have the joy of instead of needing to finish two sculptures for my final review this semester (not to mention my drawing final projects), I need to add at least one more on there so I'll have enough work for my review... I think I'm going to bring a pillow and sleep in the ceramic studio tonight, at least, work till I can't stay awake and then fall asleep and wake up for class tomorrow morning... It looks like I'm doing an allnighter in the Art Department... thankfully it's Thanksgiving soon.

But the kicker is that on Friday, I need to get back to Calvin, no rest for the weary, and load the big gas kiln and fire it... oh the joy of holiday weekend working!

And yet, deep down, it really is a blast working in the studio and firing the kilns... and I do love the clay, except when it's not doing what I want.

Oddly enough, only ceramists have this problem, what other media, when they've 'finished' a work do they put it in a fire where it can explode, and then glaze it where it can ruin the surface, and then put it in a hotter fire where it can stick to the kiln shelves, explode, be hit by another exploding piece... I'm crazy to think that I will be doing this for the rest of my life...

Ok, that was an emotional and frustration load that I kinda just puked up... eww, puke.

2 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

BJ, I think that every craftsman - whether ceramist, teacher, carpenter, nurse - has a certain love/hate relationship with what he does. Some days are diamonds and some are stones...thank you, John Denver! It's also a test of character - persistence, attitude, creativity, etc. Hang in there!

Gayle and Rob said...

Bob - It is not a problem exclusively found in the potter's world. I made a scrap quilt ---yes I know it was just scraps - but the scraps told stories and I had done a lot of quilting on it only to buy a new mattress that is thicker than the old one and the quilt is now too small to fit the bed. I could have added some borders but that would have thrown off the proportions of the whole thing. Disappointed? yes. Learned something from it? yes. Probably make another quilting blunder? yes. Gonna stop quilting? no.