"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Some things I've learned this week...

1. The painful thing on my left ring finger knuckle is a ganglion cyst.
2. Ganglion cysts are painful, especially when I have to bend my finger.
3. I have to bend my finger a lot, like when I'm typing, or when I'm throwing on the wheel.
4. The sports medicine doctor at Health Services must want me to get a bleeding ulcer.
5. The sports medicine doctor told me to 'ice the knucle, take 3 motrin at each meal, and rest your knuckle when you can'.
6. Staring blankly in disbelief at the sports medicine doctor is apparently a common reaction from his patients.
7. Dr. Do-nothing, as I like to call him, dosen't understand that I have a BFA show that I'm working towards right now and cannot 'rest my knuckle'.
8. From what I've read, a ganglion cyst is not related to swollen joints and therefore won't be helped by lots of Motrin.
9. I've also read that immobilizing the joint does nothing for the cyst.
10. The nurse the day before said it could be drained, or hit with a Bible to get rid of it.
11. My knuckle still hurts.

3 comments:

Gayle and Rob said...

I think you'd better get a second opinion on your ganglion cyst - or ask the nurse to take care of it.

B said...

Ok Bob-take it from the professional. Ganglion cysts are easy to get rid of and are not the specialty of a sports medicine doc. Find someone who will lance it for you and your problems should be over!

Shirley & Paul said...

Bob, sorry to hear about your impairment (cyst). You are too young for this sort of thing! Still waiting to hear the dates of your show...we would like to see some of your art work!