"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Walk the dog

Tonight it is absolutely beautiful. Warm, with a slight breeze, and a clear sky with tons of stars overhead.

I decided to take the dog for a quick walk around the neighborhood to get her used to going out like that. Mostly we've been playing with her in the backyard because she isn't too used to the leash yet, but she's getting better so I thought, why not!

She did really well. She was a little frightened by some of the sounds and unfamiliar territory, but she didn't pull at the leash too much.

After we went around the block (well about 1/4 of the way around, and then back) I thought I'd grab my camera and catch a picture of the beautiful crescent moon.

Yes that's a house across the street, no you can't see it clearly because it's dark.




Now, I know you probably can't see it, but there are two streaks of light above the moon in this picture. They are two satellites of some sort, that were following each other in the sky.

No they were not planes, there are enough of them in the sky that I know what they look like. They were unblinking, and after about 3 minutes, where I shot about 5 pictures, they went beyond the curve of the earth, and winked out, as they no longer reflected the sun! It was super cool... trust me it was.

(If you click on the picture, it may get bigger and you might be able to see the streaks of light that are the satellites!)

Anyway, that was my fun for the night, now it's off to bed before my interview tomorrow!

UPDATE: Indeed if you click on the photo, you can see the streaks at about 10:30 if the moon is at the center of the clock face... pretty cool if I can say myself!

1 comment:

Gayle and Rob said...

I see them!! Are you sure they aren't UFO's of some sort? It reminded me of that cool scene from "October Sky".