"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Studio in progress

So I've been spending a decent amount of time at the ceramics studio, and have been having some fun.

Since my works from my BFA show were mainly large scale sculptures, I needed a new direction to go in, mainly because of the feasibility of producing these large things (or rather numerous small things) but also because of the use and functionality of these works. Instead, I've chosen to focus on the component aspect of the works in a different way, going to the organic natural world for inspiration, and using the vessel forms I can throw on the wheel as a surface upon which I can play. I sill am fascinated by the multiplicity aspect that can turn a single, slightly boring and innocuous object, into a part of a whole that really only makes sense with in the context of the group.

So I've looked at all sorts of natural things, like mushrooms, limpets, barnacles, nests, hive structures, prairie dog mounds, rocky beaches, fields of grain, roots... all things that are most often seen in concert with others of its kind. And when they are seen together, the impact is much more interesting and exciting.

So here are a couple first experiments, which are not necessarily finished ideas yet, but definitely going somewhere.

Barnacles... or something

And Bracket fungi... like the kind that grow on trees



Needless to say, still works in progress, and I have a lot more work to do with them, but they are a lot of fun to work on. Hours of tiny handbuilding can be not only calming for me but very relaxing... I know, sounds odd, but its true. And attempting to duplicate nature is also challenging...

8 comments:

Katie said...

Cool, Bob. I like the fungi one better - mostly because I saw the first picture out of the corner of my eye and the word "pustules" jumped into my mind, for some strange reason. Nasty word, but I do like the barnacles.

bob said...

eww 'pustules'... ironically they do look like that... ewwwwwwwww

Gayle and Rob said...

I don't care what you call them, but I like them. Comparatively speakig, I like the fungi better, but the barnacles are very life like. Will these things be really fragile?. I'm curious to see what you're going to do with the glaze on those pieces. Looks like ou haven't lost your touch on the wheel.

MLE said...

I love them both! The added dimension they give to the pot is so great. I do like the pot as well--you haven't lost the touch of turning a symmetrical and smooth pot base!

Gayle and Rob said...

So what's the size perspective with these new projects? How tall are they? If I may suggest a couple more natural ideas for your consideration - strangler fig and resurrection fern. Cool beans stuff, BJ! Keep 'em coming. - Dad

bob said...

haha... strangler fig was on my list! I wanted to try and surprise you and see if you could guess what it was, but no secrets now!

bob said...

oh, an I'd say the vessels are about 10 inches tall...

Gayle and Rob said...

By the way, the barnacles project looks a little like a Zuni mud head mask, with the mouth part sticking out. Only yours would have lots of mouth parts. - Dad