"the artist has one function--to affirm and glorify life."
- w. edward brown

Sunday, February 03, 2008

No excuses

Ok, so no excuses for not posting. We're all busy, we all work, and I'm just not great with the whole communication thing. Apologies...

So driving home on Friday night after closing at work was THE WORST driving I have ever done.
Normally my commute takes me about 20 minutes. On Friday night, at 10 pm it usually takes about 15-18 minutes. This past Friday, with blowing snow, intense blizzard conditions, and lightning an thunder, it took me 45 minutes to get home safely. I don't think I went above 25 the whole way home... Needless to say it started snowing at around 8:30 or 9:00pm, and when I got home at 10:45 there were 3 inches on the ground. Thankfully it didn't last all night, but it was an experience.

In other news, I joined the Aurora Potter's Guild! While they hold two sale shows a year, one in November and one in May, the biggest draw for me is that they have a city run studio that if you pay dues (only $28 a month, which is paltry for the great facilities they have!) you get to use the studio during any open studio hours. They also give classes, all levels and types from throwing to handbuilding to glazing, so there are a lot of options for more learning too. And they have a dedicated night of open studio for the Guild members! You do have to buy clay from them, as they've had ruined shelves in the past because people don't know that low fire clay doesn't go in the high fire kiln, but they sell it at cost, and clay is pretty inexpensive anyway. They also have firings of the big kiln fairly often, and all you do is pay for your work by the square inch, and again it's relatively cheap, at least cheaper than me buying my own kiln! So I've already spent a couple chucks of time there and I'm looking forward to going in during any of my free time!

Lets see, I've also decided to make a trip to Grand Rapids during the end of April, as I have a bunch of PTO saved up already, and that is the weekend of the BFA show. I know all the juniors who are in it, and feel like that would be a great time to go back for a couple days and see all my friends. It should be a nice trip and a good time off with friends.

Ok, so a couple quick pictures. Hal, sleeping on my bed, where he usually is, whether it's day or night. I have to say, he is an exceptionally good foot warmer!



And the giant flocks of Canadian Geese that graced the fields behind our house with their presence seemed to have finally made it past Colorado. They were pretty impressive while they were here though...

Again, sorry I'm not good about posting... I'll try to keep up. Maybe new pictures of new work will help me keep in touch.

3 comments:

redtaylor said...

oowee, bob. does this mean i get to see you? sushi dinner date? yes, i think so. also, i'm so glad you have found a place to make art, that is heartwarming to say the least.

MLE said...

I get the bad driving thing -- Thursday night at 11 it was a 45 minute drive home from class. Upon arrival home, I got sick -- I think becuase I was so nervous the whole way. Thankfully the next day was a snow day so I could sleep in and recover! Don't want to do that again.

Gayle and Rob said...

Nice new look for the blog, Bob! Keep posting -- you may think, "Same 'ol, same 'ol," but we're interested in your life...